History and Origins of the World Confederation of Supporters Clubs
The FC Barcelona supporters club movement dates back to when the first official supporters club was formalised in the year 1950.
After undergoing a period of organic growth in the 1980s, the turning point for our movement came after the European Cup final at Wembley in 1992, which gave rise to an unprecedented influx of supporters clubs and penyistes. Before winning this championship, the collective was made up of 590 supporters clubs. Four years later, the number had already reached over a thousand.
From that point on, the expansion of the movement has fundamentally been qualitative. The work carried out since 2010 has led to the professionalisation of supporters clubs through the achievement of significant milestones, such as the opening of the Supporters Club Services Office in 2010; the reinstatement of the World Congress of Supporters Clubs during the Gamper Trophy, in 2011; the creation of the Supporters Club Census in 2012; the establishment of the Work and Institutional Days at the World Congress of Supporters Clubs, also in 2012; and the recognition of statutes for Supporters Clubs and their territorial Federations, in 2013.
The movement took another leap forward in 2014, with the achievement of two significant milestones. One of these was the edition of the first Penyista Card, which provides formal accreditation to supporters club members. The other was the appointment of the 30 Federation presidents to the Club Assembly as delegates.
All this work crystallised in 2015, with the creation of the World Confederation of Supporters Clubs and the signing of a collaborative agreement with FC Barcelona. During the 2016-2017 season the Club also transferred all the competencies relating to supporters clubs to the Confederation.
As of today, we encompass and serve over 1,250 supporters clubs throughout the world and continue to establish a network of Barça spaces across the territory.